UPangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Update/Status of UPangler.com and Southshorefishing.com  (Read 599 times)

Fishticuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update/Status of UPangler.com and Southshorefishing.com
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »

Hi all,
We are at the end of a road with support for getting our old information transferred over and having the site hosted. I am debating whether to keep trying to get the old information transferred over, or cut my losses and start from scratch. In the past we've hosted everything with a private person and if there were ever any problems, he would help get the forums or website back up and running. It seems like the problems are happening more and more often and it's getting harder and harder to get in touch with the person that was hosting as this went from a business he was running, to a side job.
This last time the websites and forums went down a few weeks ago, I started to try to get ahold of the guy hosting and i'm not getting anywhere.

The short version of this story is that I have now transferred hosting to godaddy.com which costs alot more (i'm not worried about that, i'm not panhandling for money) but there are good and bad points to this move.
The good is that there are daily backups with 24 hours/day tech support, we will never be stuck on an island with sites or forums crashed in the future.
The bad is that I'm trying to get the forums to transfer over with all accounts and past information, but i'm having a hard time. If anyone has any experience with updating SQL databases from backups, or updating SMF forums from a backup, i've got a backup of the databases from last summer, but I can't get it to transfer the old information over.

If anyone wants to re-register and post, I'd be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the matter. I know the forums have slowed down over the years, UPangler and the forums were started in 2009 i believe, but there was still a good amount of information discussed. I will keep the upangler site and southshorefishing sites up. Maybe this is a good time for a "refresh". If there is anything that anyone would like to see added, or get rid of, or suggestions, please let me know as now is the time to do it.

Thoughts?
Brett

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:06:59 AM by fishticuffs »

Mega Bite

• View Profile
Re: Update/Status of UPangler.com and Southshorefishing.com
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »

Thanks Brett for doing your best to keep this going. Hopefully it all works out. I will ask around and see if I can get any help.

Fishindave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

I really enjoy the site.  I hope you can keep it going

Fishticuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »

I'm going to start to try to give updates, so if someone notices something wrong, not working, or has any suggestions, they will know what should be working and what isn't......
1) I got the main website template loaded back up for upangler.com , I'm working on the SSFA landing page for www.southshorefishing.com .
2) I got the forums typed up with the original boards. Now is the time for anyone to suggest any forum boards that they think could go away or should be added.
3) I got the SSFA veteran fishing day flyer and application uploaded to the ssfa portion of the forums, I made a child board under SSFA so if you all get more events, you can split them out for organizational purposes. you should
4) I need to come up with moderators. If anyone would like to volunteer, it doesn't really take much time, you basically when reading the forums if there is a bad post (obscene or out in left field) you delete or move the post. If anyone  wants to email me or volunteer, you can pm me or send me an email to blewis@chartermi.net.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:39:31 PM by Fishticuffs »