UPangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: LBDN ice conditions  (Read 532 times)

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Bay View Bait and Tackle on Facebook
LBDN ice conditions
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »

The entire upper bay is covered with 2 to 6 inches of ice.

The Yellow Gate and Days River access sites are both open.

With more ice on the bay, we are going to our regular winter hours, being open every day, 7am to 5pm Eastern time.

We are supposed to have sunny skies and highs near 40 degrees, the next two days. Hard to say how bad that will hurt the ice and shorelines. Looking at the 10 day forecast, we won't have good ice making conditions again until around Christmas.

Be careful out there.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/49829:4:US
"Last time I saw mouth like that, it had a hook in it!"

"Once upon a time, there was a place called America."

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: LBDN ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »

Incident sun angle is still dropping until the winter solstice, so radiant energy driven ice rot will be minimized since the sun is not going to get very high and stay up as long, particularly if there is snow cover on the existing ice sheet to deflect energy back into the atmosphere...

RudyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:29:05 AM »

I think he said, the days are short, so, with a little snow cover, the sunny days shouldn’t hurt the ice too bad. 👍

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

We were hearing 3 to 6 inches on the bay, north of Gladstone, prior to warm weather this past week. I wouldn't take a quad out, and I'd say even foot traffic is marginal along the shoreline, right now.

Doesn't look like we'll have any real ice making conditions again until this weekend - https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/49829:4:US

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »

Prior to this weeks snow storm, we had at least 6 to 9 inches of good ice on the whole bay north of Gladstone. The lower bay had just skimmed over on the 3rd or 4th, and probably only had 2 to 3 inches of ice.

After the storm on the 7th, we had 5 to 6 inches of heavy, wet snow. On the 8th, guys said it was very wet and sloppy on the ice, and that they were completely soaked by the time they got to their fishing spots on their quads. Nightime temps have been getting into the teens and single digits, and will continue for the next week, so hopefully most of the slush will be turned to ice by the weekend.

Got several reports that portables were seen off the Terrace, (south of Gladstone,) yesterday. If that's the case, then the area off the Gladstone harbor should be safe again this weekend.